Friday, 23 January 2009

Reflections - 2008, the Year of the Frog....

This may seem to be coming a year late, but being an intertidal critter, I follow the lunar calendar ;p Plus I realised that I have not posted any entry on frogs in 2008! o.0 So here's a little tree frog bidding farewell to the Year of the Rat....

20090119_SBG - four-lined tree frog [DSC00038]

OK, so in this photo it looks more like a "cupboard frog" than a tree frog but I assure you that it *should* be a juvenile-ish common tree frog aka four-lined tree frog (Polypedates leucomystax). Probably one of the more common frogs around in Singapore, though the only other live frog I've actually seen in the wild is the Copper-cheeked frog (Rana chalconata).

So back to why it's on a cupboard and not a tree.... My colleague spotted this fella amongst his (my colleague's, not the P.leucomystax's!) many many potted plants at the back of our office building at SBG. By the time I got called over, it was "exploring" our tool shelves nearby. Oh well. But it does go to show that even in a rather disturbed environment like the Botanic Gardens can still play host to some wildlife!

蛙の歌が...
聞こえてくるよ...
チンチロ、チンチロ、チンチロリン...

(Eng ver.: Little Froggie sing a song...
singing, dancing all day long...
*croak* *croak* *croak*)


+++++++++

HAPPY LUNAR NEW YEAR EVERYBODY!!!!!

No comments: