Thursday, 17 February 2005

Adventures with Microfilm I

1st time using microfilms since after Sec 1 or 2... I can't remember how to use the machine so I had to enlist the help of the pple who were already happily viewing their articles.... Also need to learn how to operate the one with the photocopier attached しかたがないの。。。Need to look at Singapore newspapers from the 1930s for me SS essay...

LOL... Only had time to go thru part of the Singapore Nippo, a weekly newspaper that ran from 1938-1939 before I had to go for Japanese lecture (Hey! I skipped my GEM lecture to do this!!) The only catch about that shinbun was that it was generally about Japan related news... I guess it was to keep the Japanese in Singapore updated with the happenings of their home countries (but then why is it in english?!?) It has quite a bit [of propaganda] on Sino-Nippon relations and happenings, such as the good deeds that the Japanese were doing in various parts of China etc. Pretty much filled with pro-Japanese stuff (as expected) Pretty interesting and useful if I am a JS major (that I am NOT) but otherwise quite irrelevant to my assignment qns... There were a whole bunch of interesting adverts tho', like the one about Mitsubishi Shoji Kaisha Ltd as the sole importer of condensed milk (Is this the same Mitsubishi company that is so widespread today?)

I only managed to scan thru' Jan-Mar 1939... Will go thru' the rest of the microfilm tmr after TC I guess.... Then will try my hand at some of the other ones available... Hopefully I can get enough data to at least get started on the essay....

Guess I would be having a running commentary on me using microfilms so do bear with me ^^ This whole thing abt microfilms is getting me frazzled, and I think I have a little over a wk to finish this....

No comments: