Thursday, 12 January 2006

Week 08: day of wet collections

Did my 2nd last collection for the biofilm today with Wai and Kah Leng. With Mr Sun missing in action, the day was as gloomy as the week has been since Sat... With the rain still going on and on and on, walked over to lab from FMSS early in the morning to prep stuff for the swabbing... First thing I realised while in lab was that my MST (most stubbed toe, that has been stubbed numerous times since the first time last Thu) had the nail, erm... attached only by the very inner edge... meaning I could actually see under the ENTIRE nail... creepy... Next, realised that I was actually getting blisters from wearing my slippers (wet) almost everyday... These 2 observations alone haf resulted in the 3 plasters that are on my feet now Wanted to put them on earlier in the day, but the rain din want to let the plasters stick, so... And that was not the end of my "troubles"... Was running a little outta time, and in the rush, Juan here had to spill some of the extraction buffer (thank goodness there was still enough for today... tho I need to make more tmr ) So the floor around my area got to be real soapy.... Called a cab, got to ride in a nice spacious Mercedes cab, but the cabbie had to some how take the longer (and jammed up) route, so we missed the 8.15am ferry over to TMSI, thus effectively losing an hour of work time...

Got to St John's Island safe and sound, in spite of the rain rain rain, and the 3 of us trudged over to the breakwater to retrieve the blocks for this week... Yep, come rain or shine, a biologist's work must still go on, no matter how carppy the conditions may be.... Wai braved the bad vis and the evil sargassum fields to help retrieve my 2 trays of gurky blocks, and scampering up and down a wet breakwater is not really the way I wanted to spend my morning, but it's all in the name of research! Since the 3 of us, plus Danwei were aiming to get on the noon boat back, it was a bit of a rush to swab the blocks and all but we somehow managed to do so! *yay* Hopped back on the boat all nice and wet, and back to lab we went... Finished up the swabbing and then took turns to use the WARM water shower at S2 lvl 4, managed to borrow a nice warm long sleeve shirt as well, so all nice and comfy after that ^^ Also managed to crash Tropical Conservation again, so the day did end better than it started, tho the rain still persists...

Time to finish up the report for the homestay....

No comments: